Popping Pimples – Should you Do It?
The simple answer is No. You shouldn’t, under any circumstances, pop pimples, white heads, or other types of blemishes. This has been overemphasised again and again because it is a very important fact. Picking at and popping your pimples is not going to heal them faster, and will not help you get rid of acne either. On the contrary, popping a pimple can prevent the healing process and have harmful side-effects for your skin.
4 simple reasons why you should stop popping your pimples:
- Breaking the skin can create scarring. Not only that, but the skin will take longer to heal this lesion. Although you may notice in some cases that the bump gets smaller because you popped the pimple, the redness will actually last longer. If you let the pimple dry on its own, you minimise the risk of getting permanent scars. In addition, the redness will not be so obvious since you won’t damage any blood vessels.
- Popping pimples usually means that the bacteria inside will be pushed into the deepest layer of the skin, the dermis. Thus, you break the follicle and produce damage deep inside the skin layers. This means that the pimple may recur again and again in the same spot.
- Sometimes the root of the pimple also stays inside and produces infection which leads to more severe blemishes. But even if you manage to remove the root, you may still have pushed the bacteria deep inside. There is also a risk that the bacteria migrates to other areas of the face, thus producing more pimples.
- Popping pimples can also lead to bigger blemishes, such as nodules or cysts. This happens due to bacterial infection located deep within the skin. Picking at a cyst or nodule can be even worse as you may end up with bigger scars.
When dealing with pimples it is best to stick by the no-touching rule. You can apply your treatment or masks, and forget about popping them. It won’t make your face look better. However, there are cases in which you may want to get rid of a painful pimple by squeezing it. In that case, there are a few simple guidelines to follow, that will minimise the risk of infecting the pimple or getting scars.
Popping a pimple the right way
- Do a facial sauna before you pop any pimple. You just need a big pot of boiling water in which you can put some chamomile tea bags. Stay with your face over the pot and cover your head with a towel. Do this for at least 5-10 minutes. It will open up your pores and make the skin softer.
- Never pop a pimple with your fingers, especially using your nails. You will get some pretty unattractive scars if you do so. Your hands have more bacteria than any other part of the body. Instead, use some paper towels or a very clean cloth to squeeze the pimple.
- Position the tissues around the base of the pimple and try to find its centre. Once you do, just squeeze 2-3 times. If nothing comes out, it means that the pimple is not ready to be popped. A pimple should actually have a white head already in order to be able to properly squeeze it.
- Make sure to take out the root of the pimple if possible. Once you do, apply a drying spot treatment. One based on sulphur or salicylic acid will work best. You don’t need to wash the pimple with soap or apply alcohol. This may actually increase inflammation.
The best decision you can take is to never pop pimples. Let them heal on their own and just try to get rid of acne by treating the underlying cause. Also, if you are tempted to get rid of the pimples by popping, it is best to go to a professional. Ask your dermatologist for an extraction, which means that he can take out the pimple by using a special instrument. You can also go for a facial treatment and ask the esthetician to remove the blemishes carefully.
EXPLORE MORE ABOUT WHAT IS ACNE
|What is Acne?||Acne or Pimples – How to Tell the Difference||The Meaning of Acne Location on your Face||Acne Myths|
|Types of Acne|
YOU MAY ALSO BE INTERESTED IN
|Natural Remedies for Acne||Common Causes of Acne – What Triggers Acne?||Medicinal and Topical Treatments||How to Get Rid of Acne Scars|
var _gaq = _gaq || ; _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-38387196-1']); _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);